Preservation of the Nichols House Museum
With the support of grants from the Massachusetts Historical Commission and private foundations, and with the fundraising efforts of board members, the Nichols House Museum has been able to undertake several major preservation projects. These projects addressed critically needed work on the museum's historic structure. Two significant projects were completed in the past five years - the slate roof was completely replaced for the first time since 1804 when the townhouse was built and the rear utility sheds, dating to the 1850s, were stabilized and rehabilitated.
Click below to view our recent preservation projects.
Conservation of Urban Dependencies - Completed 2008
The rehabilitation of two rear utility sheds or urban dependencies was a major preservation effort funded by the Massachusetts Historical Commission and by a generous grant from the Cabot Family Charitable Trust. The smaller shed was used as a wood storage shed and the larger shed was used as a kitchen during the summer and as a laundry drying shed during the winter.
Architect: Turk, Tracey and Larry (Portland, Maine), General Contractor: Murphy Specialty, Inc.